Are you sure you want to close the chat?Chat will be closed and the chat history will be cleared.
continue to sign out,
or stay on chat.
To review this chat session please click this windows.
Chat Online
Chat Online0
Support

Forum

A place for Dynadot and community experts alike to ask questions, share ideas, and more.
Connecting Domain to Comcast Static IP
7/16/2014 07:15
I have a static IP from Comcast and I run a local DNS server for internal hosts. I want to be able to go to my domain "4lambda.net" and be able to specify computer names like:

client1.4lambda.net

Which I want the internal DNS to resolve the "client1."

1) I added my static IP to my DNS records on dyndadot, as such:

Domain Record (required)
4lambda.net        A        50.249.112.214

With the rest of the DNS form blank. Is this all I add?

When I run a ping, tracepath, tracert it does not resolve to that IP. Is this because it hasn't propagated yet? It resolves to 50.17.195.149 and gives 100% packet loss. Was this

2) Do I need to forward any ports on my home router? If I say "client1.4lambda.net" is this going to resolve correctly to my local DNS or is this what a "sub domain" is on your DNS page?

I look forward to any help!

EDIT: It didn't keep my spacing when I posted, sorry if it a little hard to read.
Reply Quote
7/16/2014 16:07
1) I added my static IP to my DNS records on dyndadot, as such: Domain Record (required) 4lambda.net A 50.249.112.214 With the rest of the DNS form blank. Is this all I add?

At a minimum, you should also add a "www" subdomain that points to the same IP address.  

When I run a ping, tracepath, tracert it does not resolve to that IP. Is this because it hasn't propagated yet?

It seems to be working now.  There isn't enough information to know why it didn't work earlier.  It could have been a propagation issue, it could also be that a port wasn't open.  As it is, it seems you've resolved it now.  

f I say "client1.4lambda.net" is this going to resolve correctly to my local DNS or is this what a "sub domain" is on your DNS page?

You would need to add another subdomain record in our system to get that to work correctly.
Reply Quote