Are you sure you want to close the chat?Chat will be closed and the chat history will be cleared.
continue to sign out,
or stay on chat.
To review this chat session please click this windows.
Chat Online
Chat Online0
Support

Forum

A place for Dynadot and community experts alike to ask questions, share ideas, and more.
E-Mail Forwarding and Catch-All Spam Issues
8/1/2007 06:11
I have a domain set up to forward e-mail to a specific e-mail account. Unfortunately, the Dynadot feature does not allow me to designate a 1-to-1 relationship with a specific source and destination e-mail account -- making the forwarding effort act as a catch-all instead of forwarding specificly addressed mail.

Recently I have been receiving tons of SPAM sent to an e-mail address with my domain name. This address does not exist and I can't stop it from being delivered -- it's not always caught in my destination's SPAM filter.

My former registrar allowed me to specify individual e-mail account names that would then forward to a specific destination address, thereby preventing a catch-all situation from occurring. A catch-all account was a separate option.

I prefer dynadot's features with regard to domain control, but this one area seems to be lacking some details that would certainly improve my overall experience.

This is a business e-mail that I am trying to regulate, so it is very important to try to resolve the issue in the short term.

Any assistance is appreciated.

Thank you! :)
Reply Quote
8/1/2007 14:28
We should have 1-1 email forwarding available in about a week or so.
Reply Quote
Posted By hekler
8/1/2007 14:36
Here's a suggestion. Dependant on the spam filter/email program combination you are using, set them to reject emails on the specific domain except for the one account.

Example. With outlook set a new rule from scratch where
On receipt of an email with specific words in the recipients address match (use the domain name example abcd.com)
delete the email (you can choose between a normal or permanant delete)
except through the specified accountwhere this equals your true email account.

This will negate the catch all effect of the forwarding.

WARNING - ALWAYS test the rule carefully. Send yourself 2 or 3 emails to your legite email account and 2 or three to your a fake address at the domain you are doing this too AND CHECK THE RESULTS

Looks like this does not matter now - Dynadot replied while I was typing a response

[This post has been edited by hekler on Aug 1, 2007 2:38pm.]
Reply Quote
8/2/2007 04:23
Thanks to you both. I appreciate the replies and look forward to the new feature on Dynadot.

I'll try setting up a filter, too. Thanks for the instructions.

I plan to transfer more domains once this becomes available. :)
Reply Quote