Are you sure you want to close the chat?Chat will be closed and the chat history will be cleared.
continue to sign out,
or stay on chat.
To review this chat session please click this windows.
Chat Online
Chat Online0
Support

Forum

A place for Dynadot and community experts alike to ask questions, share ideas, and more.
Name servers, email forwarding
7/13/2013 02:03
I'm happily using dynadot for all my domain registration needs! <br><br>

At the moment my domains are pointed to external nameservers of my shared hosting provider. <br><br>

I am switching my website hosting over to barebone unmanaged VPS service with static IP (and I have checked that website works fine on this static IP already). However, if at all possible, I would like to use Dynadot email forwarding to my ***@gmail.com account (so that I do not have to manage postfix on my virtual machine).<br><br>

Can you please validate my understanding on how to best get it done:<br>
1. Remove all entries at domain "nameserver" tab, so that it uses dynadot nameserver.<br>
2. Go to DNS tab and create single "A record", pointing to my static IP. Do not create CNAME record and any other records. Also leave Leave MX Records blank.<br>
3. Go to Email Forwarding tab, and setup forwarding normally there.<br><br>

Thanks in advance for your help! I am not a DNS expert, and want to validate my understanding, before I move domain settings around! :)
Reply Quote
7/17/2013 15:58
That is exactly correct.  :)

The only thing I would add is to make sure you include the matching www subdomain record as well.  You want it to look like the example below.  

How do I create an A record to point my domain to an IP address?

To create an A record, please follow these steps:

1. Sign in to your Dynadot account.
  2. Select "My Domains" from the left-side menu bar and click "Manage Domains" in the drop-down.
  3. Check the box next to your domain name(s) and click on the "Action" button.
  4. Choose "DNS Settings" from the "Action" list.
  5. On the DNS Settings page, select the "Dynadot DNS" setting from the top drop-down menu.
  6. In the "Domain Record (optional)" section, select "A" from the drop-down menu and then enter your IP address in the "IP Address or Target Host" box.
  7. In the "Subdomain Records (optional)" section, enter "www" as the subdomain, select "A" from the drop-down menu and then enter your IP address in the "IP Address or Target Host" box.
  8. Press the "Save Settings" button to save your changes.

Please be aware it might take some time for your settings to propagate.

Wix Hosting, Weebly

From Help Section: Account & Domain Management > Name Server Settings > How do I create an A record to point ...
Reply Quote