Are you sure you want to close the chat?Chat will be closed and the chat history will be cleared.
continue to sign out,
or stay on chat.
To review this chat session please click this windows.
Chat Online
Chat Online0
Support

Forum

A place for Dynadot and community experts alike to ask questions, share ideas, and more.
Remove www subdomain
Posted By nalex
1/11/2014 03:29
<p>Hi</p>
<p></p>
<p>I've searched this forum for the issue I have, and there are quite a lot questions similar to mine, but non of given answers worked for me.</p>
<p></p>
<p>I have a domain, registered outside the dynadot.com, lets name it mydomain.com</p>
<p>I'm using dynadot.com only for a simple hosting, but on registration it did not let me to enter <b>mydomain.com</b>, it automatically added <b>www</b> subdomain.</p>
<p>OK, but for now, my site opens with URL <b>www.mydomain.com</b> and if I type <b>mydomain.com</b> it redirects me to <b>www.mydomain.com</b></p>
<p></p>
<p><i>Solutions that should work in my case, but they do not:</i></p>
<p></p>
<p>1) Adding <b>.htaccess</b> file. I've updated the file according to usage for <b>mydomain.com</b>, uploaded the file to server.</p>
<p>For now the <b>www.mydomain.com</b> still works and do not redirect me to anywhere, but <b>mydomain.com</b> now could not be found.</p>
<p>As far as I know such a rule like redirecting using .htaccess works locally on the "last instance" server and do not require global DNS to be updated (which may take a few hours or even a day), so this should work instantly. Correct me if I' wrong.</p>
<p></p>
<p>2) Adding CNAME somewhere in "Domains -> manage" section of dashboard.</p>
<p>Since mydomain.com is not registered using dynadot service, the list of "Domains" is empty for me, and there is nothing I can even try to setup for my domain.</p>
<p></p>
<p>Update: after 12 hours <b>www.mydonain.com</b> redirects to <b>mydomain.com</b>, but <b>mydomain.com</b> is unavailable. So my web site is completely unreachable right now.</p>
Reply Quote
1/19/2014 17:40
Basic Hosting will always redirect to the www subdomain.  There is no way around this at this time.
Reply Quote